All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs foreign assistance flows into post-conflict regions to rebuild ecomies, roads, and schools, it is important that development professionals retain a focus on the purely human element of rebuilding lives and societies. This book provides perspective on just how to begin that process so that the trauma people suffered is t passed on to future generations long after the violence has stopped. - Amy T. Wilson, Ph.D., Gallaudet University, Washington, DC This ground-breaking text provides the reader with an excellent and comprehensive overview of the existing field of trauma rehabilitation. It also masterfully navigates the intricate relationships among theory, research, and practice leaving the reader with immense appreciation for its subject matter. - Hach Livneh, Hach Livneh, Ph.D., LPC, CRC, Portland State University Fear, terror, helplessness, rage: for soldier and civilian alike, the psychological costs of war are staggering. And for those traumatized by chronic armed conflict, healing, recovery, and closure can seem like impossible goals. Demonstrating wide-ranging kwledge of the vulnerabilities and resilience of war survivors, the collaborators on Trauma Rehabilitation after War and Conflict analyze successful rehabilitative processes and intervention programs in conflict-affected areas of the world. Its dual focus on individual and community healing builds on the concept of the protective trauma membrane, a component crucial to coping and healing, to humanitarian efforts (though one which is often passed over in favor of rebuilding infrastructure), and to promoting and sustaining peace. The book's multiple perspectives-including public health, community-based systems, and trauma-focused approaches-reflect the complex psychological, social, and emotional stresses faced by survivors, to provide authoritative information on salient topics such as: * Psychological rehabilitation of U.S. veterans, n-Western ex-combatants, and civilians * Forgiveness and social reconciliation after armed conflict * Psychosocial adjustment in the post-war setting * Helping individuals heal from war-related rape * The psychological impact on prisoners of war * Rehabilitating the child soldier Rehabilitation after War and Conflict lucidly sets out the terms for the next stage of humanitarian work, making it essential reading for researchers and professionals in psychology, social work, rehabilitation, counseling, and public health.
- Author BiographyErin Martz, Ph.D., C.R.C., the editor of this book, was an associate professor of rehabilitation counseling at the University of Memphis until December 2009. Prior to that, she worked as an assistant professor of rehabilitation counseling at University of Missouri, Columbia. She co-edited a book with Dr. Hanoch Livneh, which was published in 2007, entitled Coping with chronic illness and disability: Theoretical, empirical, and clinical aspects. She received a Fulbright Research Fellowship for Russia from the U.S. Department of State in 2006 and a Switzer Merit Fellowship from the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research in 2001. Her research interests include the topics of disability and trauma, disability and employment, and international rehabilitation.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication29/04/2010
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight813 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byErin Martz
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.