All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis handy guide offers a complete introduction to the craft of travel writing and shows unpublished writers how to identify suitable markets for their work and persuade editors to take a chance on them. It asks the all-important question, 'What is travel writing?' It analyzes your different genre options and explores ways to come up with great ideas and pitch them successfully. There is a strong emphasis on dissecting the technical aspects of creating fresh and vivid prose, including the art of writing unputdownable openings, compelling descriptions and authentic quotes. The book assesses whether and how even vices can make travel writing pay, and delves into the brave new world of blogging. Contains fascinating interviews with key travel writing figures, including the guidebook publisher Hilary Bradt and acclaimed travel writer Will Gray. By appraising extracts from the works of such rewned writers as Gerald Durrell, Peter Matthiessen and Redmond O'Hanlon, as well features from key publications such as Lonely Planet and National Geographic Traveller magazines, the book illustrates exactly what makes memorable writing - and what doesn't.
- Author BiographyJames Fair has been a journalist, travel writer and commissioning editor for nearly fifteen years. After working on conservation projects in South America in the mid-1990s, he began working as the travel editor of BBC Wildlife Magazine in 1999. Since then he has travelled extensively in the UK, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia and the Caribbean for the magazine, as well as commissioning and editing hundreds of travel features. James has researched and written three travel supplements (on Sri Lanka, Tasmania and the Cayman Islands) for the magazine and, in 2012, he was shortlisted in the Periodical Publishing Association (PPA)'s 'Writer of the Year' category.
- Author(s)James Fair
- PublisherThe Crowood Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/06/2014
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRobert Hale Ltd
- Weight318 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.