All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Traveling in Notions Michael J. Rosen creates a vel in poems, a questing contemplation, an alter ego Gordon Penn who holds to hopefulness amid circumstances that will have ne of it. Penn is a widower, a soon-to-retire tions salesman, a Midwestern family man whom Rosen describes as akin to characters found in John Cheever's or John Updike's tales or to Italo Calvi's Marcovaldo. Each poem in the collection relates ather episode in Penn's ongoing confrontation with contemporary society. Penn's tions are attempts at discovering some homeostasis, some sense of home, or, at least, some hope amid the static of a time-management consultant's radio broadcast, the months' accumulation of charitable letters, and the captivities of zoos, bodies, aging, and loneliness. His urthodox contemplations extend beyond meditation toward mediation, toward some means by which a person might settle oneself in the unsettled circumstances that he or she can neither welcome r wage against alone.
- Author(s)Michael J. Rosen
- PublisherUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Date of Publication31/10/1996
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleJames Dickey Contemporary Poetry S.
- Place of PublicationSouth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Content Notecol.Illustrations
- Weight163 g
- Width139 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.