All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the fourth century b.c.e., the Athenians introduced to the sacred isle of Delos the habit of making marble inscriptions that ted inventories of goods in religious precincts. These inscriptions are w quite damaged and badly preserved, but they offer a trove of information about religious practice on this most unusual island. Richard Hamilton has tackled the difficult task of examining and analyzing these inscriptions, and his new book provides a fund of information about the inventories and their island. The volume is important and invative in that it offers detailed insight into the workings of one of the most important Greek sanctuaries. Treasure Map brings together information that is otherwise widely scattered in a number of languages, modern and ancient. It offers translations of the inventories in English for the first time, and it presents extensive tes on objects recorded, on how the inventories were listed and weighed, and on aspects of Delian life and politics. Treasure Map will be a major resource for scholars and students of Greek religion and history, epigraphy, ancient ecomics, and politics.
- Author BiographyRichard Hamilton is Paul Shorey Professor of Greek, Bryn Mawr College, USA, and the author of Choes and Anthesteria, also published by the University of Michigan Press.
- Author(s)Richard Hamilton
- PublisherThe University of Michigan Press
- Date of Publication30/03/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationAnn Arbor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Michigan Press
- Content Note10 figures
- Weight726 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.