All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionProfessionals working with traumatized children are often asked whether it would be better to 'let sleeping dogs lie', because the child may t be ready to discuss their experiences, and out of fear that they may become further distressed or disturbed. In Treating Chronically Traumatized Children, Arianne Struik presents the case for waking those 'sleeping dogs' in a safe and structured environment, in order to allow the healing process to begin and prevent trauma later in life. Struik has developed a method for those cases labelled most difficult to treat, involving deregulated, traumatized children who refuse to talk about their memories, or claim to have 'forgotten' them completely. It incorporates factors in the child's environment and network to ensure that they are safe and secure before beginning the process, and stable throughout treatment. Downloadable worksheets enhance the book's content and make each section straightforward to work through, supporting the child through the stabilization, processing and integration phases of treatment. Illustrated throughout by case studies and comprehensive explanation of the theory and the treatment method, Treating Chronically Traumatized Children is clear and accessible and is ideal for psychologists, psychiatrists, psychotherapists and counsellors, as well as parents and anyone working with chronically traumatized children and adolescents.
- Author BiographyArianne Struik is a psychologist and programme director at Herlaarhof, a child and adolescent psychiatric hospital in the Netherlands. She is a member of the Child and Adolescent Committee for the European Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation and EMDR Special Interest Group Dissociation, and teaches internationally on trauma and dissociation.
- Author(s)Arianne Struik
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/04/2014
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note25 black & white illustrations, 2 black & white tables, 25 black & white line drawings
- Weight317 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $91.10
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $24.79Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.93
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $36.18
- AU $36.69Trending at AU $37.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.