All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince the 1970s, the development of rmalization philosophy and the implementation of community care policies have highlighted the nature and treatment of psychiatric and behavior disorders in people with mental retardation and rekindled the interest of scientists, psychiatric practitioners, and service providers. With these changes has grown a substantial body of new research and information on the phemelogy, epidemiology, classification, and clinical features of mental illness and behavior disorders in mentally retarded persons. In response to this growing interest and awareness, the editors, together with internationally rewned contributors from the United States and Europe, have compiled the first comprehensive handbook of the current theory and practice of mental health treatment and care in mentally retarded children and adults. Both contemporary and in-depth, this multidisciplinary, multidimensional volume covers all available therapeutic methods, including psychopharmacotherapy, psychotherapy, behavior therapies, cognitive therapy, and the systems approach for all the main diagstic disorders in people with mental retardation. Parts I and II present an overview of epidemiology and clinical presentation, including research trends, and therapeutic methods, including psychotherapy, psychopharmacology, behavioral therapies, cognitive and social learning treatments, and working with families and caregivers. Parts III and IV focus on psychotherapeutic interventions, such as rational emotive group treatment with dually diagsed adults, pre-therapy for persons with mental retardation who are also psychotic, and systemic therapy, and how to apply these methods to the treatment of specific mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, epilepsy, and mood and anxiety disorders. Parts V and VI discuss how to treat behavior disorders such as aggression/self-aggression (pharmacotherapy and strategic behavioral interventions) and self-injurious behaviors (multimodal contextual approach), including group therapy for sex offenders and a pedagogical approach to behavior problems, and which treatment methods, such as psychodynamically oriented psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy, are most effective with children, including developmental-dynamic relationship therapy with more severely mentally retarded children. Parts VII and VIII provide guidance on mental health services and staff training, including psychiatric treatment in community care and a model for inpatient services for mentally ill persons with mental retardation, and the editors final chapter, which draws together all the various therapeutic approaches described in previous chapters to provide a practical framework for an integrative approach. Filling a major gap in the literature, this indispensable resource for psychiatrists, psychologists, and educators working with mentally retarded persons is also intended for general practitioners, doctors, social workers, and therapists working in the same or related fields.
- Author BiographyAnton DoSen, M.D., Ph.D., is Professor of Psychiatric Aspects of Mental Retardation at Catholic University, and Medical Director of the Clinic for Behavioral and Psychiatric Disorders in the Mentally Retarded in Nieuw Spraeland, Oostrum, The Netherlands. Kenneth Day, M.B., Ch.B., F.R.C. Psych., D.P.M., is Medical Director and Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist at Northgate and Prudoe NHS Trust in Northumberland, and Senior Lecturer, Department of Psychiatry at the University Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom.
- Author(s)Anton Dosen,Kenneth Day
- PublisherAmerican Psychiatric Association Publishing
- Date of Publication01/01/2001
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationVA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Psychiatric Press Inc.
- Weight916 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine32 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.