All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this famous Treatise, St. Peter of Alcantara assists the Catholic soul to find devotion, that supernatural affection that removes distaste for spiritual effort and urges one on to serve God joyfully and genersously. St Peter made this book short and simple, yet packed into it all that is necessary to kw about prayer. It is full of saintly counsels on prayer, which is the key to the entire spiritual life. The reader of the Treatise will access the classic Catholic wisdom on mental prayer, including what to think about, how to follow a method, when to disregard a method, the importance of the heart over the head, what to do in times of spiritual dryness and much more. This introduces souls to mental prayer as a means of obtaining all spiritual goods. St. Peter of Alcantara was a 16th - century Spaniard and a spiritual director of St. Teresa of Avila, the great Doctor of Prayer. He was kwn for his severe penances and after he died, he is said to have appeared to St. Teresa and exclaimed: O blessed penance that has led me to Heaven!
- Author BiographySt. Peter of Alcantara was born at Alcantara, Spain of noble descent in 1499. When he was fourteen, he was sent to the University of Salamanca, and enrolled with the Franciscans in 1515. After founding a new community of the Stricter Observance for Badajoz, he became a priest in 1524, and his preaching afterwards was met with great success. St. Peter often went into spiritual ecstasy and levitation, but he also found the time to compose various spiritually-based letters, and his Treatise on Prayer and Meditation was published by TAN in 2009. He also served as spiritual director for St. Teresa of Avila and was able to work miracles. He died while kneeling on the eighteenth of October, 1562, and was canonized in 1669 by Pope Clement IX.
- Author(s)Peter Of Alcantara
- PublisherTan Books
- Date of Publication01/03/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTan Books
- Content Notefrontispiece
- Weight159 g
- Width107 mm
- Height175 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.