All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDid you kw ...Trees have many talentsthey can feed and house animals, create windbreaks, protect watersheds, and help prevent soil erosion. Researchers believe they have found the oldest tree in the worlda spruce in Sweden that has been alive for about 9,500 years. Even dead and decaying trees and stumps are often teeming with life! Young nature enthusiasts will learn these and many other fascinating facts about the wonderful world of trees in Treecology . This fun and interactive resource includes plentiful full-color photos and drawings and clear, kid-friendly discussions of tree structures, families, and foods; the interaction between trees and the wildlife that depend on them; tree and forest--related jobs and preservation, and much more. With encouragement to Try This, Look For, and Listen For, kids participate in 30 hands-on activities that promote observation and analysis, writing and drawing, math and science, and nature literacy skills. They will measure the circumference of a tree trunk, press and preserve leaves, study the textures of tree bark, find evidence of forest creatures, record their findings in a decorated forest logbook, and more. Readers from any region will start to take tice of the trees around themt just in forests and woods but also around the schools, parks, buildings, and sidewalks of their town, and in their own backyards. Useful resources include a glossary of tree terms, common and scientific names, a list of tree and nature organizations and groups, and a teacher's guide to initiate classroom discussion and investigation.
- Author BiographyMonica Russo is the author and illustrator of several children s nature books including Birdology, Tree Almanac, Amazing Insects, and others. Kevin Byron is a photographer who specializes in nature and wildlife images. His work has appeared in many publications including Watching Nature, BirdScope magazine, and the New York Times. They live in Kennebunk, Maine.
- Author(s)Monica Russo
- PublisherChicago Review Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2016
- SubjectNatural History: Plants
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintChicago Review Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight431 g
- Width279 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Photographer(s)Kevin Byron
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.