All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNow updated with a new predface that examines dramatic changes in his favourite hiking and camping area, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, this classic adventure chronicle, which first appeared in 1996, launched the outdoor writing career of Johnny Molloy. The author of over sixty invaluable hiking, camping, and paddling guides to natural destinations all over the country, Molloy has turned irresistible enthusiasm for the great outdoors, evident in this book, into a profound career, dedicated to houring and celebrating our greatest wild places-and helping others enjoy them as much as he has. In fourteen lively personal essays, Johnny Molloy describes the adventures by which he came of age as a backpacker. Born a flatlander in Memphis, he first visited the Smokies while attending the University of Tennessee-Kxville in the 1980s. Initially, he treated the park as a personal playground-a place to cut loose, break rules, and act irresponsibly. After many hiking excursions, however, he gained a more profound appreciation of the mountains, becoming an avid park volunteer intent on the protection and improvement of the area. He grew, as he puts it, both as an outdoor adventurer and as a human being. Interwoven throughout these pieces is a wealth of Smoky Mountains lore and history along with dozens of tips for vice backpackers. Molloy's stories encompass backpacking during all four seasons as well as accounts of solo hiking, off-trail hiking, and whitewater caeing. Whether describing the hazards of crossing a stream in winter or what to do-and t to do-when one encounters a bear or a rattlesnake, Molloy writes with an infectious enthusiasm that will delight any lover of the outdoors.
- Author BiographyA resident of Johnson City, Tennessee-when he is not researching his next book- Johnny Molloy is the author, most recently, of Hiking North Carolina's National Forests and Exploring Mammoth Cave.
- Author(s)Johnny Molloy
- PublisherUniversity of Tennessee Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2016
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Tennessee Press
- Weight249 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.