Trials from the Newgate Calendar, 1908 (Classic Reprint) by Unknown Author (Paperback / softback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $29.04Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $47.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExcerpt from Trials From the Newgate Calendar, 1908 A prison is a house of care, A place where ne can thrive.A touchstone true to try a friend.A grave for one alive.Sometimes a place of right Sometimes a place of wrong.Sometimes a place of rogues and thieves, And honest men among. You'll kw Newgate was centuries ago a warning saying uttered by persons who saw, or fancied they saw, in their acquaintances proclivities that promised badly with regard to their future careers. He is a Newgate boy was a description in, which people indulged of mischievous urchins. Newgate was synymous with prison. It is thus that we find in the Newgate Calendar the careers of people who never saw Newgate. The Newgate Calendar embraces descriptions of torious offenders who found themselves in limbo in all parts of the country. Eugene Aram, for instance, was imprisoned, tried, and executed at York The man or woman who simply got into prison somewhere for an offence which made him deemed worthy of record in the annals of crime was seized on by the compiler of the Calendar to adorn his pages. As to when the first compilation of this extraordinary work, the Newgate Calendar, was first issued is t kwn In the first place it was probably a collection of the catch-penny sheets that used to be hawked about among the crowds that flocked to an offender's execution, giving an account of his or her career. These were remarkably crude productions though they seem to have possessed a remarkable attraction for vast multitudes of the population. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art techlogy to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.
- Author(s)Unknown Author
- PublisherForgotten Books
- Date of Publication27/09/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintForgotten Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.99Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.