All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTribal communities in western India, as elsewhere in the country, have been facing increasing marginalisation and poverty. This is so despite a relatively better record of social movements and work by civil society organisations among them and their political inclusion. Further, the existing literature on tribals focuses more on their socio-cultural situation and less on their ecomic and human development. Addressing this gap in scholarship, this volume details the processes of tribal development and associated challenges in Gujarat, often viewed as a high-growth ecomy. Rich in interdisciplinary, empirical analyses, the book comprehensively addresses three important aspects of tribal development - human development, ecomic opportunities and governance. It critiques recent policy diagses and interventions, rather than evaluate policy-outcomes. The volume traces the genesis of continued marginalisation of tribals in the country, and contributes to the ongoing discourse on integrative tribal development. The work will interest scholars and students of development studies, tribal studies, ecomics, sociology, social work, as also policy-makers, activists, and governmental and n-governmental organisations in the field.
- Author BiographyAmita Shah is Director, Gujarat Institute of Development Research, Ahmedabad. Jharna Pathak is Assistant Professor of Economics, Gujarat Institute of Development Research, Ahmedabad.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication31/07/2013
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRoutledge India
- Weight544 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byAmita Shah,Jharna Pathak
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.