All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA deeply informed Afrocentric view of language and cultural retention under slavery. Maureen Warner-Lewis offers a comprehensive description of the West African language of Yoruba as it has been used on the island of Trinidad in the southern Caribbean. The study breaks new ground in addressing the experience of Africans in one locale of the Africa Diaspora and examines the nature of their social and linguistic heritage as it was successively retained, modified, and discarded in a European-dominated island community.
- Author BiographyMaureen Warner-Lewis is professor of African-Caribbean languages and orature at the University of the West Indies, Mona. She is the author of four books, including Guinea's Other Suns: The African Dynamic in Trinidad Culture.
- Author(s)Maureen Warner Lewis
- PublisherThe University of Alabama Press
- Date of Publication15/07/2009
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationAlabama
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Alabama Press
- Weight467 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.