All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.90
About this product
- DescriptionNorway, 1965. A team of young climbers from the rth of England camp at the bottom of the tallest vertical rock face in Europe - the Troll Wall. No one has dared attempt this gigantic challenge before. Some say it will never be climbed. This will be the adventure of a lifetime. Rain and sw soak them as they climb. Avalanches and loose rock threaten their lives. A Norwegian team arrives to compete for the glory as the world's media look on. Pushed to the limits of exhaustion, the team spends days on the wall, refusing to given in, even when failure seems certain. Troll Wall tells the gripping story of one of the most dramatic first ascents in British climbing history. Written days after their success, almost half a century ago, and newly rediscovered, Tony Howard's account is a fascinating insight into the challenges of climbing a big mountain wall.
- Author BiographyTony Howard grew up in the Chew Valley, at the northern tip of the Peak District. After starting climbing in 1953, Tony became well known in climbing circles for his new routes and his contribution to local guidebooks. He worked as an instructor in the early 1960s and qualified as a BMC Guide in 1965, the year he and his friends famously made the first ascent of Norway's 1,000m Troll Wall. Tony was a founding partner of Troll Climbing Equipment, producing many innovative designs such as the world's first commercial range of nuts, the first climbing 'sit' harnesses and the first sewn slings. He has guided and climbed all over the world, discovering new areas and making many first ascents. Tony is a regular contributor to outdoor magazines, and has written guidebooks for Norway, Oman and Morocco, including: Climbs, Scrambles and Walks in Romsdal, Norway (ISBN: 9781904207245); Treks and Climbs in Wadi Rum, Jordan (ISBN: 9781852842543); and Jordan - Walks, Treks, Caves, Climbs and Canyons (ISBN: 9781852845209).
- PrizesWinner of Norsk Fjellitteraturpris Juryens Aerepris (Norwegian Mountain Literature Prize Jury's Special Award) 2011.
- Author(s)Tony Howard
- PublisherVertebrate Graphics Ltd
- Date of Publication01/03/2011
- SubjectFishing, Field Sports & Outdoor Activities
- Place of PublicationSheffield
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVertebrate Graphics Ltd
- Content Note1 x 16pp full colour inserts
- Width154 mm
- Height234 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.