All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRobertson's book represents a powerful contribution to African social, ecomic, and women's history. Highly recommended. -Choice An important resource for anyone interested in the history of women and trade in modern Kenya... -International Journal of African Historical Studies ...a landmark study, meticulously executed and written...it will have a wide impact on some of the most significant questions facing the disciplines of history, anthropology, political science, and development ecomics. -Gracia Clark Herskovitz Award-winner Claire Robertson employs a variety of approaches to analyze and weave together this wide-ranging study. Her book provides an extensive case study of historical transformations in gender, agriculture, residence, and civil society. Based on archival documents, library sources (fiction and nfiction, primary and secondary), surveys and oral histories, participant observation, and quantitative and qualitative analysis, Robertson breaks new ground by focusing on traders in one commodity, dried staples, and comparing and contrasting the evolution of women's trade with men's trade.
- Author BiographyClaire C. Robertson, Professor of History and Women's Studies at Ohio State University, is the author of Sharing the Same Bowl, winner of the 1985 Herskovits Prize, and co-author of Women and Slavery in Africa and Women and Class in Africa.
- Author(s)Claire C. Robertson
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication01/06/1997
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note20 b&w photos, 3 figures, 3 maps
- Weight596 g
- Width154 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.