All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.10
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.89
- AU $79.92Trending at AU $82.53
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $78.95
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $27.10
- AU $44.25Trending at AU $49.22
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.63
About this product
- DescriptionA shocking expose of the terrible secrets at the heart of the Pitcairn Island community - a tale of systematic child abuse and rape which stretches back over 40 years. Pitcairn Island - home to the descendants of the mutineers of the Bounty - has long been thought of as a tropical paradise. Wild and remote, it is Britain's most isolated outpost and a fantasy destination for many. But in 1999, British police, alerted by unsettling reports of a rape, descended on the island. Their investigation developed into a major enquiry which revealed that Pitcairn was the site of widespread and horrific sexual abuse instigated by the island men on girls as young as twelve. Scarcely a man on the island was untainted by the allegations, and almost ne of the women had escaped, though most residents feigned igrance, even when their own daughters were abused. Abusers included the magistrates and police officers as well as brothers and uncles. Few of the victims were able to leave the island; those who did never went back. Kathy Marks was one of only six journalists permitted to live on the island while she reported on the ensuing trial and witnessed Pitcairn's domestic workings first-hand. In this riveting account she documents a society gone badly astray, leaving lives shattered, codes broken and a paradise truly lost.
- Author BiographyKathy Marks is the Asia Pacific correspondent for the Independent newspaper. Since 1999 she has been based in Sydney, reporting on major stories from the region, including the political situation in East Timor, the 2002 Bali bombing and the Boxing Day tsunami in 2004.
- Author(s)Kathy Marks
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication04/08/2008
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIndex
- Weight300 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.