All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the contemporary urban environment, the once-dominant concept of a 'masculine' identity is being replaced by alternative ideas of what it means to be a man. Troubled Masculinities explores and theorizes the ways in which men who experience marginalization in urban settings reimagine and reconstruct their identities as males. Through personal narratives and assessments of artistic expression, the contributors present critical and inventive views of masculinity and how it is performed and interpreted in urban space. Set against the backdrop of Toronto, the essays engage with the global and transnational processes that affect identity and consider how the social hybridity of large cities allows individuals to work against fundamentalist and essentialist attitudes toward gender. The contributors represent diverse backgrounds, races, ethnicities, sexualities, and gender orientations and they offer unique perspectives on conforming to and breaking away from traditional interpretations of masculinity. The essays in this volume explore the effect of race on one' s own understanding of gender identity, the role of performance and visual art - from screen printing to drag king shows - in challenging hegemonic masculinities, and the impact of space - from bubble tea houses to punk rock clubs - on expressions of masculinity. Troubled Masculinities is an important contribution to the growing field of masculinity studies and a valuable assessment of the nature of gender in a modern Canadian urban setting. The collected essays will appeal to a wide audience, from social scientists and artists to activists and general readers.
- Author BiographyKen Moffatt is an associate professor in the School of Social Work at Ryerson University.
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication22/12/2011
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note11 illustrations
- Weight360 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byKen Moffatt
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.