All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the story of how the Second World War affected leisure boating: of the people who managed to overcome huge difficulties to go sailing during the war itself and the difficulties of re-establishing the sport in post-war years; of the sailing and yacht clubs which survived bombings, requisitioning, shortages and a host of other problems, and still thrive today; of the yachting magazines which managed to continue to publish throughout the war; of the large numbers of leisure sailors whose skills helped them to make huge contributions to the war effort, and their extreme wartime experiences which gave them the confidence to undertake more adventurous post-war leisure voyages; of the boatbuilding companies that produced huge numbers of essential military vessels, many suffering bomb damage in the process, and their difficulties in returning to leisure work after the war; and of the extraordinary number of privately-owned boats that were requisitioned for war service, for the Dunkirk evacuation and countless other roles, their disposal along with large numbers of military craft at the end of the war, and the war prizes that would become kwn as the Windfall Yachts.
- Author BiographyNigel Sharp spent 35 years in various project management positions in the boatbuilding industry before becoming a freelance marine writer and photographer in 2010. He is a lifelong sailor who currently owns a 1963 Nordic Folkboat and he is the Commodore of St Mawes Sailing Club.
- Author(s)Nigel Sharp
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/10/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note32
- Weight340 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $203.71
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.93
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $69.55
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $79.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.