All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEditors Rob Warden and Steven Drizin - leaders in the field of wrongful convictions - have gathered articles about some of the most critical accounts of false confessions in the U.S. justice system from more than forty authors, including Sydney H. Schanberg, Christine Ellen Young, Alex Kotlowitz, and John Grisham. Many of the pieces originally appeared in leading magazines and newspapers, including the New York Times , The Nation , the New Yorker , and the Los Angeles Times . By grouping the cases into categories - including brainwashing, fabrication, mental fragility, police force, and unrequited incence - the editors demonstrate similarities between cases, thereby refuting the perception that false confessions represent individual tragedies rather than a systemic flaw in the justice system. These incidents are t isolated; they are, in fact, related, and more shocking for it. But the authors of the articles excerpted, adapted, and reprinted in this collection want more for their subjects than outrage; they want to fuel change in the practices and standards that illicit false confessions in the first place. To this end, Warden and Drizin include an illuminating introduction to each category and recommendations for policy changes that would reduce false confessions. They also include a postscript for each case, providing legal updates and additional information.
- Author BiographyRob Warden is a legal affairs journalist and the executive director of the Center for Wrongful Convictions at the Northwestern University School of Law. Steven A. Drizin is a clinical professor of law and the legal director of the Center for Wrongful Convictions at the Northwestern University School of Law. He is a leading authority on police interrogations and coerced confessions.
- PublisherNorthwestern University Press
- Date of Publication15/10/2009
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Place of PublicationEvanston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthwestern University Press
- Weight907 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Edited byRob Warden,Steven A. Drizin
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.