Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $15.96+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLONGLISTED FOR THE 2016 CENTER FOR FICTION FIRST NOVEL PRIZE A dazzling literary debut about three lives colliding in 80s downtown New York On the eve of 1980, downtown New York is the centre of the universe. Here are the artistes and the socialites, the dealers, bartenders, party-goers and hangers-on -- all trying to make it in the big city, teetering on the brink of selling out, searching for something to save them. Among them is painter Raul Engales, in exile from Argentina's Dirty War and his own past. Fresh on the downtown scene and posing as an art student, he has just caught the eye of New York's most infamous art critic: James Bennett. James has synaesthesia, experiencing life and art in wild, magical ways. He sees pictures as starbursts and fireworks, smells citrus when he says 'mother', and hears songs when he looks at sculptures. Art is James's gateway to endless new sensations, the secret to his success. In this city, his name is a byword for good taste -- until the day his gift deserts him. And then there's Lucy: Raul's eager blonde muse. Newly escaped from the suburban thingness of Idaho, impossibly young and still untouched by urban ennui, she is drawn like a firefly to the electric brilliance of the city-and especially to its artists...Over the course of one year, these three lives will collide and be transformed. A brand new decade has just begun and New York is a crucible brimming with the energy of a million secret metamorphoses, poised to spill forth art, destruction and life itself into the waiting world.
- Author BiographyMolly Prentiss grew up in a commune in Santa Cruz, California. She has a MFA in Creative Writing from the California College of the Arts, was a Writer in Residence at Workspace at the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council and at the Blue Mountain Center, and was chosen as an Emerging Writer Fellow by the Aspen Writers Foundation. She is also a contributor to various literary publications. Molly Prentiss lives in Brooklyn, New York and her debut novel, Tuesday Nights in 1980, will be published by Hamish Hamilton in May 2016.
- Author(s)Molly Prentiss
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication26/05/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHamish Hamilton Ltd
- Weight585 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine31 mm
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.39
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $107.81
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $20.32
- AU $28.09Trending at AU $28.43
- AU $22.61Trending at AU $22.86
- AU $16.48Trending at AU $17.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.