All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe development of cancer is a slow process and it very often takes a number of years before a tumor becomes clinically evident. No current te- nique is sensitive and specific eugh to detect tumors at their earliest stage, i. e. , when the tumor is smaller than one billion cells. Consequently, the d- ease is usually diagsed in an advanced state, very often when it is already beyond the reach of therapeutic strategies. This is the main stumbling block to the secondary prevention that would reduce cancer mortality. There is hope, however, because in the last decade we have witnessed an explosion of reports dealing with tumor markers. In many instances, simple, ninvasive diagstic tests are becoming available to detect the early signs ofneoplasia. Interest in early detection of neoplasia is growing among those basic scientists, cli- cians, and health professionals who realize that progress in reducing cancer mortality is dependent to a great degree on its early detection and prevention. Some disappointment usually accompanies these discoveries, because what at first glance proves to be promising, is in many instances, applicable only to a limited number of cases. What is the cause of these failures? The answer may be that cancer is a multitude of neoplastic diseases in which endogeus and exogeus etiologic factors contribute either sim- taneously or over a lifetime to the development of disease.
- PublisherHumana Press Inc.
- Date of Publication28/10/2010
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleMethods in Molecular Medicine
- Series Part/Volume Number14
- Place of PublicationTotowa, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHumana Press Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight751 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edited byMargaret Hanausek,Zbigniew Walaszek
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement1st ed. Softcover of orig. ed. 1998
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.