All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFirst published in 1882, this book offers a remarkably unprejudiced account of life in Tunisia towards the end of the nineteenth century. Touching upon oft-described archaeological curiosities only briefly, the author instead concentrates his attention on the country's present condition, its towns, districts and people, making the book an invaluable historical document. Topics covered within the book include the Bey, his court and administration; the life and customs of good society in Tunis; life in a Moorish harem; street-life within the bazaars of Tunis; and a number of chapters on the situation of the Jews of Tunis. The author also travels beyond the capital to a number of provincial towns such as Mater, the holy city of Kairouan and Sfax; spends time in the southern oases; and discusses the lives of Tunisia's Bedouin and Berber inhabitants.
- Author BiographyErnst von Hesse-Wartegg (1851-1918) was an Austrian diplomat who for some years acted as the Swiss Consul to Venezuela. However, he was much better known as a traveler and writer, and wrote more than 20 books during his career, some of which were translated into several languages.
- Author(s)Chevalier de Hesse-Wartegg
- PublisherGarnet Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication01/12/2009
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Series TitleFolios Archive Library
- Place of PublicationReading
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGarnet Publishing Ltd
- Content Note22 b&w illustrations
- Weight440 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $71.84New
- AU $64.55Used
- AU $78.24New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $38.97Trending at AU $68.87
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $79.74
- AU $21.24Trending at AU $22.96
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $93.97
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.40
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $127.53
- AU $21.10Trending at AU $22.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.