All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWinner of the 2014 European Book Prize. A United States of Europe , Winston Churchill proposed in 1946, could as if by a miracle transform that turbulent and mighty continent . In this way only , he continued, will hundreds of millions of toilers be able to regain the simple joys and hopes which make life worth living . Today, nearly seventy years later, over 500 million people live in the member states of the European Union a greater number than in any other political community save for China and India. The currency of the Union, the euro, is used in ecomic transactions world-wide. Yet the EU is mired in the greatest crisis of its history, one that threatens its very existence as an entity able to have an impact upon world affairs. Europe longer seems so mighty, instead but faces the threat of becoming an irrelevant backwater or, worse, once again the scene of turbulent conflicts. Divisions are arising all over Europe, while the popularity of the Union sinks. How can this situation be turned around? Now published as a revised and updated paperback that takes account of the May 2014 elections to the European Parliament, Turbulent and Mighty Continent makes a powerful case for a far-reaching and fundamental renewal of the European project as a whole.
- Author BiographyAnthony Giddens is former Director of the London School of Economics, Life Fellow of King s College, Cambridge, and Member of the House of Lords, UK.
- Author(s)Anthony Giddens
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication16/12/2014
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationChicester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWiley-Blackwell (an imprint of John Wiley & Sons Ltd)
- Weight320 g
- Width135 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.