All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.17Trending at AU $52.09
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $31.97Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.34Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
About this product
- DescriptionTurf Wars: Discourse, Diversity, and the Politics of Place is the fascinating story of an urban neighborhood undergoing rapid gentrification. * Explores how members of a multi-ethnic, multi-class Washington, DC, community deploy language to legitimize themselves as community members while discrediting others. * Discusses such issues as public toilets and public urination, the morality of co-ops and condos, and characterizations of good girls and bad boys. * Draws on linguistic anthropology and discourse analysis to provide insight into the ways that local activity shapes larger urban social processes. * Draws also on cultural geography and urban anthropology.
- Author BiographyGabriella Gahlia Modan (PhD Georgetown University) is Assistant Professor in the Department of English, The Ohio State University.
- Author(s)Gabriella Gahlia Modan
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication14/12/2006
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleNew Directions in Ethnography
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishing Ltd
- Content Note18
- Weight538 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.