All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe twenty two essays collected in Turkish Language, Literature and History offer insights into Turkish culture in the widest sense. Written by leaders in their fields from North America, Europe and Turkey, these essays cover a broad range of topics, focusing on various aspects of Turkish language, literature and history between the eighth century and the present. The chapters move between ancient and contemporary literature, exploring Sultan Selim's interest in dream interpretation, translating newly uncovered poetry and exploring the works of Orhan Pamuk. Linguistic complexities of the Turkish language and dialects are analysed, while new translations of 16th century decrees offer insight into Ottoman justice and power. This is a festschrift volume published for the leading scholar Bob Dankoff, and the diverse topics covered in these essays reflect Dankoff's valuable contributions to the study of Turkish language and literature. This cross-disciplinary book offers contributions from academics specialising in linguistics, history, literature and sociology, amongst others. As such, it is of key interest to scholars working in a variety of disciplines, with a focus on Turkish Studies.
- Author BiographyBill Hickman is former Associate Professor of Turkish Language and Literature at the University of California (Berkeley), now retired. He is the author of an ongoing series of articles on 15th century Anatolian poet-sheikhs, published in journals in Turkey and Europe, and his most recent publication is The Story of Joseph. A Fourteenth Century Turkish Morality Play by Sheyyad Hamza. Gary Leiser is an independent scholar. He completed graduate work in Middle Eastern history at the University of Pennsylvania in 1976. He has published widely on the social history of the Eastern Mediterranean world in the twelfth-thirteen centuries. His most recent work is Prostitution in the Eastern Mediterranean World: The Economics of Sex in the Late and Antique Medieval Middle East (forthcoming).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication19/10/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in the History of Iran and Turkey
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note34 black & white illustrations, 1 black & white tables, 34 black & white halftones
- Weight680 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byBill Hickman,Gary Leiser
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.