All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLong recognised as a classic in the USA, The Tower and the Bridge is w at last available in German translation. In his preface to the German edition, Jorg Schlaich writes. This book is essential reading and a pleasure for the structural engineering artist , in whose structures the connection between form and force flow is visible and which are distinguished by the ideals of efficiency, cost-effectiveness and elegance. Billington founded with this book structural art as a new, independent art form, which he considers equivalent to architecture. It is coincidence that the title states the two classic domains of the structural engineer; in this case Billington is referring to two outstanding structures of the epoch, the Eiffel Tower and the Brooklyn Bridge. Billington describes in an easily readable style and in an entertaining manner the ideals, principles and methods of structural art during its historical development through examples of structures from outstanding engineers (e.g. Telford, Maillart, Freyssinet, Menn). With the establishment of structural art as an art form and the explication of its inherent principles, Billington gives the reader well founded arguments for the aesthetic discussion of engineering structures. This also provides a basis for criticism of the new art form; for the criticism of construction that has long been demanded. This timeless book thus has the potential to give a new impulse to the debate about construction culture and particularly the aesthetic aspects of structural engineering in German-speaking countries.
- Author BiographyDavid P. Billington lehrte uber 50 Jahre lang an der Fakultat fur Bauingenieurwesen der Universitat Princeton, New Jersey, USA.
- Author(s)David P. Billington
- PublisherWiley-VCH Verlag GmbH
- Date of Publication11/12/2013
- SubjectCivil Engineering & Environmental Engineering
- Place of PublicationBerlin
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintWilhelm Ernst & Sohn Verlag fur Architektur und technische Wissenschaften
- Weight746 g
- Width172 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.