All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn his new travelogue, Foster Church guides adventurerslifelong residents of the Northwest and visitors aliketo the small communities beyond the state s well-kwn urban center. As in his previous book, Discovering Main Street: Travel Adventures in Small Towns of the Northwest, Church employs the finesse of his Pulitzer-Prize-winning journalism. He also shares his passion for encouraging tourists down less traveled pathspaths that curve beside valleys and wheat fields, travel along orchards and straits, and abut mountains and rivers. Once inside these small towns, local flavors abound. Church reveals how each community s unique character informs its hospitality and culture: In Morton, the abandoned Roxy movie theater was re-opened to host lectures and live performances. In the town of Palouse, a once-lonesome farming community in the Washington wheat country is w home to antiques shops and art galleries, and in Pomeroy, a pioneering legacy is celebrated in a lively annual festival. With maps, photographs, and recommendations for more than thirty-five towns in all corners of the state, Turning Down the Sound vastly expands the resources available for readers and travelers keen on encountering what Church calls American tourism s last frontier: its small towns.
- Author BiographyFoster Church is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and was for twenty-seven years a staff writer for The Oregonian. His first book, Discovering Main Street: Travel Adventures in Small Towns of the Northwest, was published by OSU Press in 2010. His travel articles have appeared in newspapers throughout the United States. He lives in Portland, Oregon.
- Author(s)Foster Church
- PublisherOregon State University
- Date of Publication30/05/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationCorvallis, OR
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOregon State University
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight340 g
- Width137 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.47Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.