All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen critics initially attacked textbook publishers for selfishly pursuing profits and employing flawed models of pedagogy, zealous advocates were able to rebut these philosophical arguments. Additional disputes erupted about the ways textbooks depicted nationalism, religion, race, and gender. Armed with precise examples of offensive textbook features, confrontational opponents could t be easily dismissed. Although publishers who wished to align themselves with national sentiments were willing to make changes, they were cautious because the criticism was heterogeneous and shifting. To ensure that their materials embodied the attitudes and values of most of their clients, they made expedient adaptations in reaction to clearly specified social criticism. Although grounded in business principles, this ability to deftly make precise, well-timed responses accounted t only for twentieth-century textbooks' financial longevity, but for their widespread public approval and indisputable classroom prominence.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Gerard Giordano is Dean of Education at Utah State University. He has written a column in a national journal, served as a book review editor, and been appointed to the editorial boards of prominent journals. He has written nearly two hundred reports that have appeared in national journals. He is the author of two tests, numerous chapters, and four previous books. His most recent book, a history of twentieth-century reading education, was published in 2000.
- Author(s)Gerard Giordano
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/02/2003
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleHistory of Schools and Schooling
- Series Part/Volume Number17
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Noteill.
- Weight300 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.