All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIs there a 'special connection' between twins? Can they read each other's minds? Are they telepathic? These questions are often asked, but have never been convincingly answered until w. The author became interested in the subject when he was given vivid first-hand testimony of how a man whose twin brother had been shot dead had reacted several miles away at the exact time. This prompted him to embark on a thorough search of the literature and collect accounts of similar examples of apparent telepathy, some dating back to the 18th century, to question numerous twins regarding their own experiences, to compile a substantial file of case histories, and eventually to help set up properly controlled scientific experiments in which telepathy could be seen to take place on a polygraph chart, two of which have w been published in peer-reviewed journals. As he makes clear in this ground-breaking book, the first ever to explore the 'special twin connection' in detail, the answer is simple: some twins are telepathy-prone and some, probably the majority, are t. How can this be, you might wonder? Aren't all identical twins supposed to be identical in all respects? They are t. The fact is that, as Orwell might have put it, some twins are more identical than others. What seems to make the difference is exactly when division of the fertilized zygote (egg) takes place. This can take place almost immediately, or up to twelve days later. Without going into detail here, what this means is that 'late splitters' develop extremely close bonds after birth, bonds that can last a lifetime, whereas 'early splitters' become more independent, and regard their twins just like an ordinary brother or sister. Sure eugh, when experiments were carried out in London and Copenhagen, on each occasion it was a late-splitting pair who showed the clearest evidence for telepathy on their polygraph charts. The often heard critical complaint that here is repeatable experiment for any kind of psychic effect is longer true. This new revised and updated edition contains the most comprehensive survey yet written on the history of research into twin telepathy. The author explains why experiments have generally been unsuccessful in the past, and why those that he helped design have been consistently successful, and point the way ahead for future researchers. He also explains that a better understanding of the special twin connection is of more than academic interest, especially to parents, some of whom already kw that it can save lives and has already done so. Earlier editions of this book were well received by such authorities as psychologist Stanley Krippner, a former president of the Parapsychological Association, for whom it 'reads like an intriguing detective story', and Rupert Sheldrake, who has contributed a Foreword in which he states: 'For many years I have been looking in vain for authoritative research on this intriguing subject. At last I have found it, in this book'. Colin Wilson, in his Introduction predicts that the book 'will obviously become a classic of psychical research.'
- Author BiographyGUY LYON PLAYFAIR was born in India and educated in England, obtaining a degree in modern languages from Cambridge University. He then spent many years in Brazil as a freelance journalist for The Economist, Time, and the Associated Press, also working for four years in the press section of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). The first of his twelve books, The Flying Cow, in which he described his experiences investigating the psychic side of Brazil, was translated into six languages and became an international best seller. His most recent book is Telepathy. He now lives in London and is a council member of the Society for Psychical Research.
- Author(s)Guy Lyon Playfair
- PublisherWhite Crow Books
- Date of Publication30/03/2012
- SubjectAstrology & Fortune-telling
- Place of PublicationGuildford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWhite Crow Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight293 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement3rd edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.