Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $25.13+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTwo is an exquisite collection of captivating and thought-provoking photographs by award-winning photographer Melissa Ann Pinney that contemplate the essence of duality in our relationships and in the world that surrounds us. Edited and introduced by Pinney's friend, New York Times bestselling author Ann Patchett, the volume is filled with memorable images that encase rich stories: two children at play, a pair of aging friends, parent and child, couples in love. But deeper meanings can lurk in the margins of the frame, in the expressions in the eyes, in the disconnect of the connection. Photographs without human subjects bear their own mysteries: two nesting tea cups, an indoor pool, two chairs in autumn.Pinney, whose work is in the permanent collections of dozens of American museums, including the Metropolitan, MoMA, The Art Institute of Chicago, and the Getty, aims her lens at pairs-mostly, but t always human-that display or imply elusive connections of mind, of spirit, or of simply the act of being. Patchett, whose enthusiasm for Pinney's vision helped bring this project to fruition, has paired the photographs with remarkable essays about the nature of two, commissioned from some of the best writers at work today: Edwidge Danticat, Barbara Kingsolver, Richard Russo, Elizabeth Gilbert, Susan Orlean, Alan Gurganus, Maile Meloy, Elizabeth McCracken, Jane Hamilton, and Billy Collins (who provides a beautiful poem celebrating two creatures bound by wonderment. ) I've always been interested in watching people together. I wonder what their story is, who they are to each other, Pinney writes in the preface. No matter how uninspired I feel, how dull I think a place is, when I look at the world through a camera a new beginning takes place. Filled with startling, sensitive images and nuanced prose, Two is an illuminating keepsake of human experience, at once universal and unique.
- Author BiographyMelissa Ann Pinney is the author of Regarding Emma: Photographs of American Women and Girls and Girl Ascending. Her photographs are in the permanent collections of many museums, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art, the Whitney Museum of American Art, the Art Institute of Chicago, the International Center of Photography, the George Eastman House, and the J. Paul Getty Museum. She lives in Evanston, Illinois.
- Author(s)Melissa Ann Pinney
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication21/05/2015
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarper Design International
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight798 g
- Width203 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.35Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $25.42Trending at AU $25.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.