All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn February 1974, Jan and Ian Mitchell, cruising vices, set off to circumnavigate the world in their Top Hat 25 foot yacht, Caprice. Many adventures later, they returned to Sydney in November, 1977, with two year old Jamie (born in Durban, South Africa) and Jan pregnant with their second son. Four and a half months later, David was born. Ian looked after the children while Jan wrote articles for yachting magazines. She also wrote the cover story for an August edition of Women's Day. This book contains a compilation of those fourteen articles plus one from Ian about their shakedown voyage, published in Australian Sailing. Jan has added many more photographs of their trip and a history of the Top Hats. The Mitchells write about seasickness, gales, learning to navigate, coping with strong currents, repairing a rigging failure at sea, friendships with others in the cruising community, the joys of tropical islands and more. These articles were widely read in 1978 and inspired many would be sailors to buy a boat. Some set out to sail the world. We hope their story will inspire you too.
- Author BiographyJan Mitchell was born in New Zealand in 1946. She moved to Australia in 1970, marrying Ian Mitchell in 1971. In 1974, they set out to sail around the world, returning in 1977. Their two sons, Jamie (born 1975) and David (born 1978) grew up with sailing holidays and are now also avid cruising sailors. After a career of high school teacing English and later training in natural therapies, Jan is now a writer. She is very active in the Lake Macquarie branch of The Australian Fellowsip of Australian Writers and she has had many articles published in magazines. This is her second published book.
- Author(s)Jan Mitchell
- Date of Publication27/08/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight263 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Travel Guides
- AU $14.95New
- AU $12.52New
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $40.57Trending at AU $41.57
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $38.88
- AU $32.12Trending at AU $32.57
- AU $19.93Trending at AU $21.26
- AU $49.50Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $13.95Trending at AU $14.30
- AU $21.27Trending at AU $25.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.