All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn The Tycoon and the Bard, well-kwn Scots actor and Burns expert John Cairney tells the story of how the richest man in the world was inspired by Scotland's greatest poet. Cairney concentrates on the life of Scottish American industrialist Andrew Carnegie, arguing that the ideas of the romantic Scottish poet Robert Burns formed a strong influence on Carnegie from his early education to the end of his life. The Tycoon and the Bard shows the connections between these two great Scots, revealing unexpected aspects of each man's life and drawing out the chain of influence that Burns' poetry had on Carnegie's social beliefs about fortune, fate and fairness.
- Author BiographyJOHN CAIRNEY, 'The Man Who Played Robert Burns', is an actor, writer, lecturer, recitalist, director and theatre consultant, football fan and most recently, has exhibited as a painter. In a career that spans over half a century, John Cairney has performed in nearly every media, including television, theatre film and radio. He is perhaps best known for writing and starring in the 1968 Scottish Television adaptation Burns. He currently lives in Glasgow, Scotland.
- Author(s)John Cairney
- PublisherLuath Press Ltd
- Date of Publication28/01/2016
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2015
- ImprintLuath Press Ltd
- Weight250 g
- Width147 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.15Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.