Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.29Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
About this product
- DescriptionKw your type. This is a visual history of fonts and graphic styles: 1628-1938. This book offers a conisseur's overview of typeface design, exploring the most elegant fonts from the history of publishing. Taken from a distinguished Dutch collection, this exuberant two-volume edition traces the evolution of the printed letter via exquisitely designed catalogs, showing type specimens in roman, italic, bold, semi-bold, narrow, and broad fonts. Borders, ornaments, initial letters and decorations are also included, along with lithographic examples, letters by signwriters, inscription carvers, and calligraphers. Featuring works by type designers including: William Caslon, Fritz Helmuth Ehmcke, Peter Behrens, Rudolf Koch, Eric Gill, Jan van Krimpen, Paul Renner, Jan Tschichold, A. M. Cassandre, Aldo Novarese, and Adrian Frutiger. In order to accommodate a vast amount of material, we have divided this text into two volumes. The first volume covers pre-20th century typeface specimens, with texts by editor Cees de Jong and collector Jan Tholenaar. The second volume covers the period from 1900 to the mid-20th century, and contains a historical outline by Alston W. Purvis.
- Author BiographyThe editors and authors: Cees W. de Jong is a designer and publisher based in Laren, the Netherlands. He has published numerous books on design, architecture and art, and is now working as a design/publishing consultant and author. He has also published many books on graphic design. Alston W. Purvis is professor of the visual arts division of the School of Arts at Boston University, USA. He is also the author on many books on graphic design. The late Jan Tholenaar was a collector of the printed letter in all its various incarnations, but especially exquisite design catalogs and specimen books. He lived in Amsterdam, where he passed away in 2009.
- Author(s)Alston W. Purvis,Cees W. de Jong,Jan Tholenaar
- PublisherTaschen GmbH
- Date of Publication20/08/2013
- LanguageEnglish, French, German
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationCologne
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintTaschen GmbH
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight2994 g
- Width305 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine49 mm
- Contained items statement2 Paperbacks
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.