All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMotor torpedo boat development began in the early 1900s and the vessels were first put into active service during World War I. However, it was t until the late 1930s that the US Navy commenced the development of their Patrol Torpedo or PT boat program. The PT boat, or the mosquito boat as they were sometimes kwn, was originally envisioned for attacking larger warships with torpedoes using its stealth ability, high-speed, and small size to launch and survive these attacks. However, they were actually employed more frequently in a wide variety of other missions, many which were unforeseen by developers and planners, including rescuing General MacArthur and his entourage from the Philippines. Often taking on larger and better armed enemies these craft became famous for punching above their weight and were firmly thrust into the limelight by John F. Kennedy who while serving as a lieutenant on a PT-109 in the Pacific Theater heroically saved his fellow crew members winning him the Navy and Marine Corps Medal. This book examines the design and development of these unique craft, very few of which survive today and goes on to examine their role and combat deployment in both World Wars.
- Author BiographyGordon L Rottman entered the US Army in 1967, volunteered for Special Forces and completed training as a weapons specialist. He served in the 5th Special Forces Group in Vietnam in 1969-70 and subsequently in airborne infantry, long-range patrol and intelligence assignments until retiring after 26 years. He was a special operations forces scenario writer at the Joint Readiness Training Center for 12 years and is now a freelance writer. The author lives in Cypress, Texas.
- Author(s)Gordon Rottman
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication03/09/2008
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleNew Vanguard
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 148
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOsprey Publishing
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight186 g
- Width184 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Illustrator(s)Peter Bull,Tony Bryan
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.