All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJohn Vassar (1813-1878) grew up in Poughkeepsie, New York. He was 28 years when he had a distinct conversion experience. For a number of years he evangelized in Dutchess County, N.Y., and other cities. He also spent a short time doing temperance work. In 1863, commissioned by the American Tract Society, he began his ministry to soldiers fighting the Civil War. After the Gettysburg fight he was captured by Stuart's Calvary. When questioned as a suspected spy before General Stuart he asked General, do you love Jesus? He was promptly released to go back behind the Union lines. During the winter of 1863-64 there was a great revival, and especially in the Third Corps. Meetings were held nightly, and thousands were converted. He had a way about him that even the most disagreeable violent people would be calmly won over. After the war he traveled the country and his last days were spent in the New England States.
- Author BiographyThomas Edwin Vassar (1834-1918) was born in Poughkeepsie, New York. He was a nephew to Uncle John Vassar and was related to Matthew Vassar (of Vassar College). During the Civil War, Thomas was Chaplain to the 150th New York Infantry and witnessed Uncle John's Civil War ministry firsthand. After the war he was pastor to the South Baptist Church, Newark, New Jersey. Adoniram Judson Gordon (1836-1895) was born in New Hampton, New Hampshire. He was named after Adoniram Judson the missionary to Burma. He was a hymn writer and served as a Baptist pastor in Massachusetts.
- Author(s)Rev Thomas E Vassar
- Date of Publication16/03/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Religious & Spiritual
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight200 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Introduction byRev Adoniram J Gordon D D
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $32.22Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.