All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $138.24Trending at AU $169.12
- AU $26.00Trending at AU $29.63
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $70.54
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $11.95
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $13.39
- AU $49.51Trending at AU $52.88
- AU $36.20Trending at AU $44.77
About this product
- DescriptionNajmah, a young Afghan girl whose name means star, suddenly finds herself alone when her father and older brother are conscripted by the Taliban and her mother and newborn brother are killed in an air raid. An American woman, Elaine, whose Islamic name is Nusrat, is also on her own. She waits out the war in Peshawar, Pakistan, teaching refugee children under the persimmon tree in her garden while her Afghan doctor husband runs a clinic in Mazar-i-Sharif, Afghanistan. Najmah's father had always assured her that the stars would take care of her, just as Nusrat's husband had promised that they would tell Nusrat where he was and that he was safe. As the two look to the skies for answers, their fates entwine. Najmah, seeking refuge and hoping to find her father and brother, begins the perilous journey through the mountains to cross the border into Pakistan. And Nusrat's persimmon-tree school awaits Najmah's arrival. Together, they both seek their way home.Kwn for her award-winning fiction set in South Asia, Suzanne Fisher Staples revisits that part of the world in this beautifully written, heartrending vel.Under the Persimmon Tree is a 2006 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.
- Author BiographySuzanne Fisher Staples, a former UPI correspondent, is the author of many acclaimed books for young readers, including Shiva's Fire, Dangerous Skies, and the Newbery Honor Book Shabanu. Her newest book, The House of Djinn, is being published by FSG in Spring 2008. She lives in Nicholson, Pennsylvania.
- Author(s)Suzanne Fisher Staples
- PublisherSquare Fish
- Date of Publication01/04/2008
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSquare Fish
- Content Notemaps
- Weight263 g
- Width149 mm
- Height205 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.