All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe definitive collection of correspondence from a legendary writer, providing new perspectives on his extraordinary life. The celebrated author of such beloved works as In Patagonia and The Songlines, Bruce Chatwin was a mad whose desire for adventure and enlightenment was made wholly evident by his writing. A man of intense energy and chameleonlike complexity, he was, in his life as in his art, forever in quest of the exotic and the unexpected. He moved at ease within diverse art, literary, and social circles, and his lifelong travels took him to the farthest-flung corners of Asia, Africa, South America, and Australia. This marvelous selection of letters-to his wife, Elizabeth; to his parents, Charles and Margharita; and to friends, including Patrick Leigh Fermor, James Ivory, Paul Theroux, and Susan Sontag-reveals a passionate man and a storyteller par excellence, spinning the narrative of his life from his first week of school to his untimely death. Written with the verve and sharpness of expression that first marked him as a writer of singular talent, Chatwin's letters provide a vivid record of his changing interests and concerns, as well as chronicling his lifelong restlessness and the gestation of his books. Under the Sun is the closest readers will get to an autobiography by this exceptional literary talent.
- Author BiographyBruce Chatwin (1940 1989) was the author of In Patagonia, The Viceroy of Ouidah, On the Black Hill, The Songlines, and Utz. His other books are What Am I Doing Here and Anatomy of Restlessness, posthumous anthologies of shorter works, and Far Journeys, a collection of his photographs that also includes selections from his travel notebooks.
- Author(s)Bruce Chatwin
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin USA
- Content Noteblack & white halftones
- Weight803 g
- Width164 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine47 mm
- Edited byElizabeth Chatwin,Nicholas Shakespeare
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.