All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHay-on-Wye is world famous as the Town of Books. But when travel writer Oliver Balch moved there, it was t just the books he was keen to read, but the people too. After living in London and Bues Aires, what will he make of this tiny, quirky town on the Welsh-English border? To help guide him, he turns to Francis Kilvert, a Victorian diarist who captured the bucolic rural life of his day. Does anything of Kilvert's world still exists? And could a newcomer ever feel they truly belong? With empathy and humour, Balch joins in the daily routines and lives of his fellow residents. What emerges is a captivating, personal picture of country life in the 21st century. Some things haven't altered for centuries, while others are changing at an alarming pace. Written with his trademark vivid, reportage style, Balch's journey sees him meet with a king and his courtiers, publicans, hippies, mayors, old widows and young farmers. In an increasingly mobile, urban world, Under the Tump is a timely, honest account of Balch's attempt to put down roots in a community t yet his own.
- Author BiographyOliver Balch is a UK freelance journalist specialising in business and world affairs. He work has appeared in a wide range of international publications, including the Guardian, Financial Times, Conde Nast Traveller and The Traveller. His first book, Viva South America! was shortlisted as 'Book of the Year' at the UK Travel Press Awards.
- Author(s)Oliver Balch
- PublisherFaber & Faber
- Date of Publication19/05/2016
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFaber & Faber
- Out-of-print date22/12/2016
- Weight449 g
- Width143 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edition StatementMain
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.