Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.35Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the momentous events that shook Italy in 1860 as the nation was unified, there was a murderous riot in the Sicilian town of Bronte on the slopes of Mount Etna. Thereafter, Bronte became a symbol - of the limits of the liberal Risorgimento and of the persistence of foreign domination: descendants of Admiral Horatio Nelson had the largest landholding in the town and the British were said to have put pressure on Garibaldi to crush the uprising, which his lieutenant did with brutality. Lucy Riall has used the discovery of a new archive to transform brilliantly this episode into an ambitious exploration of much larger themes. Relaying an often brutal tale of poverty, injustice, and mismanagement, her powerful and engaging narrative also opens windows onto the true meaning of the British presence. Bronte's story becomes one that is also about Britain's policy towards Italy and Europe in the nineteenth century, and about colonial rule overseas in the age of Empire. It shows what happened when these two different aspects of British power bumped into each other in one Sicilian town.
- Author BiographyLucy Riall has held visiting appointments at the Ecole Normale Superieure Paris, the Free University Berlin and the University of Freiburg. Her publications include Risorgimento: The History of Italy from Napoleon to Nation-State (2009); Garibaldi: Invention of a Hero (2007); and Sicily and the Unification of Italy, 1859-66: Liberal Policy and Local Power (1998).
- Author(s)Lucy Riall
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication24/01/2013
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note4 maps and 21 black and white images
- Weight668 g
- Width162 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine21 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.