All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWinner of a 2005 Gustavus Myers Outstanding Book Award (Horable Mention Americans fear crime, are rattled by race and avoid honest discussions of both. Anxiety, denial, miscommunication, and igrance abound. Imaginary connections between mirities and crime become real, self-fulfilling prophecies and authentic links to race, class, gender and crime go unexplored. Katheryn Russell-Brown, author of the highly acclaimed The Color of Crime, makes her way through this intellectual minefield, determined to shed light on the most persistent and perplexing domestic policy issues. The author tackles a range of race and crime issues. From outdated research methods that perpetuate stereotypes about African Americans, women, and crime to the over hyped discourse about gangsta rap and law breaking, Russell-Brown challenges the conventional wisdom of crimilogy. Underground Codes delves into understudied topics such as victimization rates for Native Americans--among the highest of any racial group--and how racial profiling affects the day-to-day lives of people of color. Invative, well-researched and meticulously documented, Underground Codes makes a case for greater public involvement in the debate over law enforcement--and our own language--that must be heard if we are to begin to have a productive national conversation about crime and race.
- Author BiographyKatheryn Russell-Brown is Professor of Law and Director of the Center for the Study of Race and Race Relations at the University of Florida's Levin College of Law. She is the author of Protecting Our Own: Race, Crime, and African Americans and Underground Codes: Race, Crime, and Related Fires (NYU Press).
- Author(s)Katheryn Russell-Brown
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication01/02/2004
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight390 g
- Width154 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.42
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.35Trending at AU $30.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.