All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $72.89
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
About this product
- DescriptionUntil the last decade of the twentieth century, the abusive or cruel treatment of animals had received virtually attention among academics. Since then, however, empirical studies of animal abuse and its relation to other forms of violence toward humans, have increased t only in number but in quality and stature. Sociologists, crimilogists, social workers, psychologists, legal scholars, feminists and others have recognised the myriad reasons that animal abuse is worthy of serious scholarly focus. In his overview of contemporary sociological understanding of animal abuse, Clifton Flynn asks why studying animal abuse is important, examines the connections between animal abuse and human violence, surveys the theses surrounding the supposed link between abuse of animals and humans and lays out some theoretical perspectives on the issue. The book offers recommendations for policy and professionals and directions for future research. Ultimately, UNDERSTANDING ANIMAL ABUSE challenges the reader to consider animal abuse as t limited just to harmful acts committed by individuals. It asks us to extend our tion of abuse to the systemic cruelty of factory farms and vivisection laboratories.
- Author BiographyClifton P. Flynn is Professor of Sociology and Chair of the Department of Sociology, Criminal Justice and Women's Studies at the University of South Carolina Upstate. He is a past Chair of the Section on Animals and Society of the American Sociological Association.
- Author(s)Clifton Flynn
- PublisherLantern Books,US
- Date of Publication23/08/2012
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1900
- ImprintLantern Books,US
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight300 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.