All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDecades after Gandhi's death and scores of books later, much about him remains unkwn and enigmatic. This book fills in many such gaps through personalized accounts of the iconic figure by the some of his closest associates and followers. The main feature of this book lies in its ability to initiate a philosophical dialogue and discussion about Gandhi without attempting to re-interpret Gandhian thought. Understanding Gandhi is a compilation of six of the 24 interviews conducted by Fred J. Blum (1914-90), academician and Consultant to the US Senate Committee on Labour and Public Welfare, revealing to us his many of his qualities and understanding of truth, spirituality, n-violence and Satyagraha, among others. These conversations allow us insights into the dynamics of Gandhi's relationship with his colleagues, unearthing dormant memories and impressions, as each person recalls Gandhi as he/she knew him. This book is a must-read for all interested in Gandhian thought as it provides the reader with fresh glimpses of his thoughts on many issues of critical importance in these times.
- Author BiographyUsha Thakkar is Honorary Director, Institute of Research on Gandhian Thought and Rural Development; and Honorary Secretary, Mani Bhavan Gandhi Sangrahalaya, Mumbai. She retired as Professor and Head, Department of Political Science, SNDT Women's University, Mumbai. She has done postdoctoral research at the University of Chicago on Fulbright Fellowship, at Cornell University on Sr. Fulbright Fellowship and at York University (Canada) on WID Fellowship from the Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute. Her research areas are Women's Studies, Gandhian Studies and Indian Politics. Her publications include Politics in Maharashtra (co-editor, 1995); Women in Indian Society (co-author, 2001); Zero Point Bombay: In and Around Horniman Circle (co-editor, 2008) and Culture and Making of Identity in Contemporary India (co-editor, 2005). Jayshree Mehta is Vice Chancellor, Sumandeep Vidyapeeth University, Piparia, Vadodara. Earlier she was Professor and Head of Surgery in the Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda. She is a Fellow of the International College of Surgeons and past-President of Gujarat Surgeons' Association. She was awarded the best Consultant of the year award in 2008-09 by Indian Medical Association, Gujarat Branch. She has published many articles in national and international journals. She has special interest in Breast Cancer and is currently doing research on its incidence among rural and urban women of Gujarat. Hailing from Porbandar she has been interested in the life and thought of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Author(s)Jayshree Mehta,Usha Thakkar
- PublisherSAGE Publications India Pvt Ltd
- Date of Publication03/01/2011
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintSAGE Publications India Pvt Ltd
- Weight712 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.