All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUnderstanding Hashimoto's Encephalopathy is the first book ever published about this rare autoimmune disease. Hashimoto's Encephalopathy ( HE ) - often referred to as Steroid Responsive Encephalopathy Associated with Thyroiditis ( SREAT ) - strikes people of all ages, in all walks of life, and takes a devastating toll on patients and their loved ones. Nevertheless, the disease is poorly understood, and continues to puzzle physicians and researchers around the globe. As a result, patients with HE often remain undiagsed for months or even years, if they are lucky eugh to be diagsed at all. Here, readers will learn the symptoms, diagstic criteria and challenges, and treatment options for HE, as well as a discussion of the scientific theories regarding the causes and diagstic markers of the disease. For clinicians and others interested in reviewing the latest scientific research, the book contains citations and internet links to over 100 scientific articles about HE/SREAT published between 2010 and 2013. At the heart of the book are first-person narratives from 48 HE patients and caregivers in the US, the UK, Europe, and Australia, which provide a never-before-available glimpse into the debilitating effects of HE as told by those who live with the disease day in and day out. Patients describe their symptoms, their struggle to find a diagsis, and their treatment experiences. The book includes a separate section devoted to the stories of pediatric HE/SREAT patients, as told by their parents. Understanding Hashimoto's Encephalopathy offers a comprehensive picture of HE/SREAT that is helpful for physicians new to the disease yet told in language accessible to the layman. DISCLAIMER: As with all books, Understanding Hashimoto's Encephalopathy is t intended to be and should t be considered to constitute medical advice.
- Author BiographyThe Hashimoto's Encephalopathy SREAT Alliance ( HESA ) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization formed in 2012. HESA is dedicated to collecting, archiving and sharing information regarding Hashimoto's Encephalopathy ( HE ), also known as Steroid Responsive Encephalopathy Associated with Thyroiditis ( SREAT ) to educate patients, the public, and medical professionals about this poorly understood disease. HESA also raises funds to support scientific research into HE/SREAT, and collaborates with other organizations devoted to encephalitis and encephalopathy.
- Author(s)Hashimoto's Encephalopathy Sreat Allianc
- Date of Publication27/12/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight689 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edited byNicola Nelson,Susan Foley
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.25Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.