All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLecturers, why waste time waiting for the post arrive? Request your e-inspection copy today! 'This book was a delight to read. The mathematical content is excellent and the approach to explaining complex concepts is exceptionally good!' -Dr Jennifer Way, University of Sydney 'I'm a really big fan of this book: it is the single most influential text in my experience of working with primary maths teachers in the last 12 years' - Andy Tynemouth, Every Child Counts National Adviser, Edge Hill University 'Every teacher of maths should read this book! It helped me realize why some children are struggling with doing simple word problems' -Amazon reader review If you are a teacher or student teacher in a nursery or primary school, you need a secure understanding of the mathematical ideas behind the material you will use in the classroom. To help young children develop their understanding of mathematics, you need to develop your own understanding of how mathematics is learnt. In this indispensible book, the authors help you to understand mathematical concepts and how children come to understand them, and also help develop your own confidence with mathematical activities. Each chapter of this book includes: -Real-life examples and illustrations from children and teachers in the classroom -The research behind some of the concepts and teaching approaches discussed -Pauses to reflect and discuss your own mathematical kwledge and experience -Age-appropriate classroom activities to try with your class or group.
- Author BiographyDerek Haylock is an education consultant and writer in the field of mathematics education. He is a Senior Fellow in Education at the University of East Anglia, Norwich, where he worked for over 30 years in primary teacher training and in education research. He is a major author in education, with a large number of published books and chapters in books. His best-selling Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers (Sage) has been the leader in the field for many years, with a fourth edition published in 2010. Derek's work is characterized by a commitment to explain mathematics in simple and accessible ways and to enable the subject to be taught and learnt with understanding and confidence. He is married, with two grown-up daughters and three grandsons. Outside of mathematics, he is a Free Church elder, plays the trumpet, and is passionate about classical music, cricket, walking (quickly) and cycling (slowly). Derek Haylock has a website at: http://derek-haylock.blogspot.com/ Anne D. Cockburn is a Professor Emeritus in Early Years Education at the University of East Anglia (UEA). She was educated in Edinburgh before reading Psychology at the University of St Andrews. Subsequently, she trained to be a primary teacher and taught in Scotland. In 1979, she became a Research Fellow at the University of Lancaster, working with Neville Bennett and Charles Desforges. Her PhD was completed in 1986 at the UEA. Following a period of working as a researcher, she took up her first lectureship at UEA in 1989. She became an Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society in 1994. Initially Anne's teaching focused on pre-service teacher education (BA and PGCE), gradually extending to in-service courses (BPhil and MA) and research (PhD and EdD). Throughout, she continued with her own research, with many of the catalysts for her investigations stemming from the needs and interests of professional practitioners and those with whom they work. More recently, she also started working with MA counselling students. Anne has examined doctoral theses, undergraduate and postgraduate courses at universities across the United Kingdom, Australia and Norway. She was a member of the Economic and Social Research Council Board of Examiners for studentships (2002-2005).
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication13/03/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Out-of-print date04/01/2017
- Content Noteill
- Weight699 g
- Width186 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byAnne D. Cockburn,Derek Haylock
- Edition Statement4th Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $73.88Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.95Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.