All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis new edition of Understanding Morphology has been fully revised in line with the latest research. It w includes 'big picture' questions to highlight central themes in morphology, as well as research exercises for each chapter. Understanding Morphology presents an introduction to the study of word structure that starts at the very beginning. Assuming kwledge of the field of morphology on the part of the reader, the book presents a broad range of morphological phemena from a wide variety of languages. Starting with the core areas of inflection and derivation, the book presents the interfaces between morphology and syntax and between morphology and phology. The synchronic study of word structure is covered, as are the phemena of diachronic change, such as analogy and grammaticalization. Theories are presented clearly in accessible language with the main purpose of shedding light on the data, rather than as a goal in themselves. The authors consistently draw on the best research available, thus utilizing and discussing both functionalist and generative theoretical approaches. Each chapter includes a summary, suggestions for further reading, and exercises. As such this is the ideal book for both beginning students of linguistics, or anyone in a related discipline looking for a first introduction to morphology.
- Author BiographyMartin Haspelmath is a Senior Researcher in the Linguistics Department of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology and an Honorary Professor at the University of Leipzig. Andrea D. Sims is Assistant Professor of Slavic Linguistics at The Ohio State University.
- Author(s)Andrea D. Sims,Martin Haspelmath
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/09/2010
- Series TitleUnderstanding Language
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHodder Education
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight582 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.76Trending at AU $42.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.