All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPoliteness is key to all of our relationships and plays a fundamental part in the way we communicate with each other and the way we define ourselves. It is t limited only to conventional aspects of linguistic etiquette, but encompasses all types of interpersonal behaviour through which we explore and maintain our relationships. This groundbreaking exploration navigates the reader through this fascinating area and introduces them to a variety of new insights. The book is divided into three parts and is based on an invative framework which relies on the concepts of social practice, time and space. In this multidisciplinary approach, the authors capture a range of user and observer understandings and provide a variety of examples from different languages and cultures. With its reader-friendly style, carefully constructed exercises and useful glossary, Understanding Politeness will be welcomed by both researchers and postgraduate students working on politeness, pragmatics and sociolinguistics more broadly.
- Author BiographyDaniel Z. Kadar is Professor of English Language and Linguistics at the University of Huddersfield. Michael Haugh is an Associate Professor in Linguistics and International English at Griffith University.
- Author(s)Daniel Z. Kadar,Michael Haugh
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication29/08/2013
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note25 b/w illus. 4 tables 6 exercises
- Weight460 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.