All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a study of pragmatic markers in a corpus of spoken English. Pragmatic markers are multifunctional and this can make it difficult to describe their meaning and potential. In particular, we kw little about pragmatic markers and prosody, their sociolinguistic use or their distribution across text types. This book looks at pragmatic markers in a corpus of spoken English, with a focus on the functions performed by the markers in different types of text. Karen Aijmer explores the syntactic, semantic, pragmatic and discourse aspects of the markers. By taking a broader perspective on the markers, classifying them, describing their class-specific properties and analysing individual markers, she assesses whether any generalisations can be made about the prosody of the markers. It includes a definition of pragmatic markers in the context of the book. It features chapter-long case studies of the pragmatic markers well, in fact and actually. Each chapter has a clear introduction and conclusion.
- Author BiographyKarin Aijmer is Professor of English and Head of the English Department at Goteborg University.
- Author(s)Karin Aijmer
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication22/04/2013
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $71.84New
- AU $64.55Used
- AU $78.24New
- AU $104.93New
- AU $75.19Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $38.97Trending at AU $68.87
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $79.74
- AU $21.18Trending at AU $22.96
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $93.97
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.40
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $22.86
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $101.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.