Understanding Risk: Informing Decisions in a Democratic Society by Board on Environmental Change and Society, National Research Council, Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education, Committee on Risk Characterization (Paperback, 1996)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $44.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUnderstanding Risk addresses a central dilemma of risk decisionmaking in a democracy: detailed scientific and technical information is essential for making decisions, but the people who make and live with those decisions are t scientists. The key task of risk characterization is to provide needed and appropriate information to decisionmakers and the public. This important new volume illustrates that making risks understandable to the public involves much more than translating scientific kwledge. The volume also draws conclusions about what society should expect from risk characterization and offers clear guidelines and principles for informing the wide variety of risk decisions that face our increasingly techlogical society. Understanding Risk * Frames fundamental questions about what risk characterization means. * Reviews traditional definitions and explores new conceptual and practical approaches. * Explores how risk characterization should inform decisionmakers and the public. * Looks at risk characterization in the context of the entire decisionmaking process. Understanding Risk discusses how risk characterization has fallen short in many recent controversial decisions. Throughout the text, examples and case studies--such as planning for the long-term ecological health of the Everglades or deciding on the operation of a waste incinerator--bring key concepts to life. Understanding Risk will be important to anyone involved in risk issues: federal, state, and local policymakers and regulators; risk managers; scientists; industrialists; researchers; and concerned individuals.
- Author BiographyPaul C. Stern and Harvey V. Fineberg, Editors; Committee on Risk Characterization, National Research Council
- Author(s)Board on Environmental Change and Society,Committee on Risk Characterization,Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education,National Research Council
- PublisherNational Academies Press
- Date of Publication05/06/1996
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNational Academies Press
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byHarvey V. Fineberg,Paul C. Stern
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.60
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.97Trending at AU $53.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.