All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor most of us, violence is something observed from the safety of our living spaces where we watch televised terrorist attacks and ongoing global conflict. We engage with the horror of mass shootings, and try to make sense of what appears to be senseless violence toward incent victims. Domestic murders and assaults w seem commonplace items in our newspapers. But many human service workers and social workers confront violence-related issues every day in situations arising across every stratum of our society. This book takes a multi-disciplinary perspective towards understanding and developing effective responses to violence, its prevention and management. It encompasses a variety of fields of practice and offers sound analysis of theories that underpin these fields along with their practical implications. Understanding Violence: Context and Practice in the Human Services is a reference for professionals, an essential resource for students and will be of interest to the wider community in explaining community responses to violence. The editors have recruited a wide range of experts who collectively offer valuable insights into different aspects of violence. There is something in the book for researchers, practitioners amd policy analysts and it should provide readers with a comprehensive overview of both New Zealand and international cutting-edge strategies for dealing with violence in its various forms.
- Author BiographyAnnabel Taylor is a senior lecturer at the University of Canterbury and director of Te Awatea Violence Research Centre, which is hosted by the School of Social and Political Sciences. She acts as a consultant to both statutory and NGO organizations responding to violence. Marie Connolly is chair and head of social work at the University of Melbourne. She is a former chief social worker in the New Zealand government and has published extensively, including 10 books in her areas of scholarship.
- PublisherCanterbury University Press
- Date of Publication17/06/2013
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationChristchurch
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintCanterbury University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight458 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Edited byAnnabel Taylor,Marie Connolly
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.46
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.