All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow much of our media experience is shaped by the profit motive of media conglomerates? How much do we have freedom and power as members of an increasingly fragmented media audience? How do music, television and social media influence what we understand about friendship, fun, political events, democracy, globalization and even our own selves? This book teaches students how to ask critical questions of the media, and gives them the analytical tools to answer those questions. Students will gain a rich understanding of how the media play a role in society, both in giving pleasures and creating power relationships. Equipping students to become critical thinkers, Understanding the Media: * teaches the theoretical foundations and key concepts students need to get started on their own media studies * shows the 'how to' with guided exercises and reflections * improves essay writing with a guide to the research literature * helps students take learning further with guided free online readings * brings concepts to life with examples and case studies on everything from Harry Potter and Big Brother to the Occupy movement. This is an essential guide to the how and why of understanding the media, perfect for students in media studies, sociology, cultural studies and communication studies.
- Author BiographyDr. Eoin Devereux is Senior Lecturer in Sociology at University of Limerick and Adjunct Professor in Contemporary Culture at the University of Jyvaskyla, Finland. He is the author of the academic best-seller Understanding The Media now in its 3rd edition (SAGE, 2014), co-editor of David Bowie: Critical Perspectives (with Aileen Dillane and Martin J. Power, Routledge, 2015) and co-editor of Morrissey: Fandom, Representations and Identities (with Dillane and Power, Intellect, 2012). Eoin is a founding member of two research clusters at UL namely the 'Power, Discourse and Society Research Cluster' and the 'Popular Music and Popular Culture Research Cluster'. In 2014, he co-organised the Limerick City of Culture music legacy project The Pigtown Fling with sonic artist Dr. John Samuel Greenwood and Noel Hogan of The Cranberries. He was also recently selected by SAGE to present a series of short video lectures on a range of themes including the work of Stuart Hall; Fandom; Ideology and Media Representations of Poverty for their Media and Communications tutorials and case study videos. He tweets daily as @drdevereux and in his spare time DJ's, organises an event called Manchester Night, gardens and writes short fiction. His most recently published flash fiction story 'Mrs Flood' came second in the RTE Radio 1 '100 Words, 100 Books' competition and was published by O'Brien Press in 2014.
- Author(s)Eoin Devereux
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication10/12/2013
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight771 g
- Width185 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $91.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.