All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- Description'This is a splendid book. It is both intellectually sophisticated and written in an extremely accessible manner' - Professor Jim McGuigan, Loughborough University 'Eloquently written, admirably clear, passionately argued, Schirato and Webb have given us one of the best textbooks on the emergent field of visual culture. Smart, clear and relevant examples challenge readers to question their visual environments and become critics and creators themselves' - Sean Cubitt, University of Waikato In a world increasingly preoccupied with the visual, it has become essential to understand the dynamics of images and be able to interpret them skilfully. The authors outline our relationship to the visual from ancient times to the cyber-present. Understanding the Visual shows the reader how to analyse the structure, conventions, contexts and uses of the visual in western cultures. Richly illustrated and crossing the fields of cultural studies, communication and media studies, film, art, design, and sociology the authors show how to make sense of visual objects of all kinds.
- Author BiographyTony Schirato teaches and researches in the areas of cultural theory, media literacy, and sport and the media. He has co-authored books on the work of Michel Foucault and Pierre Bourdieu, and also on communication and cultural literacy, globalisation, Asian cultural politics and visual culture. His most recent book is on sports culture. He is currently co-authoring a book on the work of gender theorist Judith Butler. Jen Webb is Professor of Creative Communication at the University of Canberra. With Tony Schirato, she edits the Understanding Contemporary Culture book series.
- Author(s)Jen Webb,Tony Schirato
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication16/09/2004
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleUnderstanding Contemporary Culture Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight490 g
- Width151 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.